Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Series we love in 2nd grade! (ages 7 - 9)

Second grade is a really exciting year for many new readers. Most start the year still working on decoding each word, and by the end of the year most are reading chapter books. They're so excited with their new skills and love sinking into books.

Reading several books in a series helps 2nd graders develop their reading skills, as they get to know the characters, setting and plots that recur from book to book in a series. Each book is still new and exciting, but it's great to be able to revisit characters you've come to know.

Here are some series our 2nd graders recommend, with some of their comments.

Short and fun books to read:
Today I Will Fly! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)Elephant and Piggie, by Mo Willems
   - Today I Will Fly: “It’s funny when the say that they are goingto fly but they don’t”
   - Are You Ready to Play Outside? "I recommend this book because it’s funny.”

Minnie and Moo, by Denys Cazet
   -“I love Minne and Moo and the Haunted Sweater because I like the chapter of the farmer’s present.”

Mercy Watson: Something Wonky this Way ComesMercy Watson, by Kate DiCamillo
   - Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride: “I like Mercy because it’s funny.”
   - Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Comes: "I like Mercy becuase she's a very funny pig.”

Froggy books, by Jonathan London
   “I like Froggy Gets Dressed because it’s really hilarious and fun. I love this book.”

Beatrix Potter's little books
   -The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, by Beatrix Potter “My favorite part is when the mouse cries to trick the cat.”

Bella and Rosie - early chapter books from Pioneer Valley
Bella and Rosie, by  Michele Dufresne
   -"I like the way these two dogs are friends. They make me laugh."

Chapter books that make us laugh
Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May)Junie B. Jones, by Barbara Park
   - Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells: “I like this book because it is funny and because it has my favorite holiday.”

Geronimo Stilton:
   - All Because of a Cup of Coffee: “I recommend this book because it has great pictures, it’s very funny, and Geronimo is crazy and impulsive!”

Slumber Party Payback (Ruby And The Booker Boys)Ruby and the Booker Boys, by Derrick Barnes
   - Slumber Party Payback: “I love this Ruby Slumber Party because it takes you into the story.”

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, by Jeff Kinney
   “I like Diary of a Wimpy Kid because it is really hilarious!”
   “I like this series because it has funny comics and so many jokes.”
   “I like Diary of a Wimpy Kid because it is really funny and it is so exciting.”
   “I like this series because it has lots of jokes and it’s a long book.”

My Weird School #1: Miss Daisy Is Crazy!My Weird School, by Dan Gutman
   -“I like the My Weird School books because they are funny and you can get lost in them. I like Mr. Hynde is Out of His Mind the best.”
   -“Miss Daisy is Crazy is funnier than funny. I feel like I’m in the book.”

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. The Mecha-Monkeys From MarsRicky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot, by Dav Pilkey
   -“I like this book because the robot fights crime. I like thinking what it’s like to be a robot.”
   -“I like this series because it has the Flip-O-Rama. My favorite is Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha-Monkeys from Mars.”

Bad Kitty, by Nick Bruel
  “I recommend Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty because it’s funny and there are jokes.”

Judy Moody, by Megan McDonald 
   -Judy Moody Declares Independence: “I liked this because it’s funny.”

Ivy and Bean, by Annie Barrows
   -Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record: “I recommend this book because these friends do a lot of science.”

Chapter books with adventure and mystery
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries)A to Z Mysteries, by Ron Roy
   “I recommend A to Z Mysteries because you can solve lots of mysteries and I’d say The Lucky Lottery is the best one.”
   “I like A to Z Mysteries because I like to read mystery books. The Absent Author is my favorite.”

Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, No. 9)Magic Tree House, by Mary Pope Osborne
   -Winter of the Ice Wizard: "I like the series Magic Tree House because I love adventures. I recommend Winter of the Wizard if you like traveling places.”
   -“I like the series Magic Tree House because I love adventures. I recommend the book Dophins at Daybreak if you like adventures too. I like this book because I like dolphins and the sea.”
   -“Tonight on the Titanic has lots of adventure. I like this book because there’s fun stuff you could imagine about you doing in a house or a ship.”
   “Lions at Lunchtime really takes you into the book. You learn about things.”
Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, No. 5)   -“I love Night of the Ninjas. I love ninjas because ninjas are so cool.”
   -“I like A Good Night for Ghosts because it was creepy and it was so fun to read.”
   -“I like Pirates Past Noon because it takes you on an adventure.”
   -“These books may be easy, but they are funny. I like Viking Ships at Sunrise the best.”
   -“I like Eve of the Emperor Penguin because it will make you freeze. It will blow your mind.”
   -“Dinosaurs Before Dark will take you on an adventure.”

Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest)Beast Quest: by Adam Blade
   -“I like Ferno the Fire Dragon because you fight beasts and free the darkness. PS: You get lost in this book.”
   -“I like this book. It is so exciting. My favorite part was the fighting.”

Rainbow Fairies, by Daisy Meadows
   -“I love Bella the Bunny Fairy because it’s exciting. It makes me happy and jumpy and scream.”

Commander Toad and the Space Pirates (Commander Toad Paperstars)Commander Toad, by Jane Yolen
   -“Commander Toad and the Space Pirates is the funniest book I’ve read.”


Warriors series, by Erin Hunter
   -“Warriors is a book for an advanced reader. Each book gets more interesting.”
   -Into the Wild, Warriors book 1: "I like this book because I like the rivalry of the clans.”
   -“The series Warriors is wonderful. It is action-packed, and all readers who like cats will be lost in their books.”

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling
   -“Wait for the fun.... and the magic!”
   -“I’ve been reading the Harry Potter series. My favorites are #2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and #4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. This book really keeps you hooked. You’ll love reading it.”

Graphic novels we love to read
Bone, Volume 2: The Great Cow RaceBone series, by Jeff Smith
   -Bone #2: The Great Cow Race: “I recommend Bone because it’s funny funny and scary. I really like it. Bone #2 is my favorite.”
   -“I like Bone because it’s funny! The funny part is when Bone dreams about he’s on a ship!”
   -“I like Bone: The Great Cow Race because it is funny!”

Babymouse, by Jennifer Holm
   -Babymouse, Skater Girl: “I like this book. It is funny. The pink parts are her imagination.”

Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp ShakedownLunch Lady, by Jarrett Krosoczka
   -“I like Lunch Lady because it had a lot of action.”

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this list! I see several of my son's favorites on here but lots of new ones as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad - I was hoping parents might see familiar series, and then get ideas for others to try.

    Today in library we started The Time Warp Trio and had a lot of fun. It's like the Magic Tree House, but wackier. Good for kids who want humor and jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list- esp. the Mo Williams books. And yes, these are my students' favorites too!! I really like that you included the kids' comments.

    I liked the Time Warp Trio. They are great for my lower 3-5th grade readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many years ago I read Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant to my then 7 year old (she's nearly 14 now) and she absolutely loved it and so did I. When my younger child, a boy, turned 8 I asked him if he'd be interested in reading it himself and he was. Not only did he love the book, but, when he was done he asked me to re-read it to him. I gladly did as it allowed me to relive the warm and fuzzy feeling it gave me when I first read to my daughter. It's a beautiful story of friendship and loyalty not to mention kindness and bravery thrown in. A beautiful gentle story about a chocolate Lab named Kona who is friends with Stumpy the squirrel and a couple of other wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a new 2nd grade teacher this will be very helpful!!!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! I hope your kids like some of these series! It's great to get them hooked on a series they like, and then recommending their favorite series to other friends. Hope you have a great year!

      Delete