Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer days - what we've been reading

We're packing up for our last summer vacation. It is exhausting packing, but so worth it. We'll unplug and unwind, spend time together and time visiting with friends. I won't be posting this week, but wanted to give a quick report on what we've been reading.

This has been a summer of reading for my youngest (age 6), as she reads her picture books along with me and loves listening to chapter books. We're having fun with Winnie-the-Pooh. Watching her giggle as I read the chapter about Piglet and the Heffalump was priceless - she thought it was hilarious that Piglet was terrified and didn't realize that it was just silly old Pooh with the honey pot stuck on his head. Milne was masterful at bringing children in on the joke, making them feel so much smarter than that silly old bear.

My middle daughter really hasn't read as much as she usually does during the summer. She loves to draw, and is determined to learn how to draw figures that match her imagination. So she's listening to audiobooks as she draws for hours. I'm just downloading The Guardians of Ga'hoole audiobook, hoping that the movie preview will entice her to this series.

My oldest daughter will devour a book when she finds one that she likes. But she wants to discover the book - not mom. So I leave books lying around, and hope that one sticks. Her favorite book from the summer has probably been Shug, by Jenny Han - a wonderful summer book for tweens on the edge of romance.

And for me? I've loved being able to stay up late reading. I've loved Word After Word After Word, by Patricia MacLachlan. I also loved discovering Philip Reeve, and English author I hadn't read before. And I have Keeper, by Kathi Appelt packed in my bag (OK, I confess, with about 6 other books as well... a girl can dream!).

I hope your summer has been filled with time with family and friends, time to recharge your batteries, and time to sink into a good story. School and busy routines will be here before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment